Skip to main content

Do They Work: Urban Decay Setting Sprays

Hi everyone; I hope you're all doing well. I'm back today with a review of the Urban Decay All Nighter and De-Slick setting sprays. As someone with extremely oily skin, I'm used to my makeup getting greasy and sliding around in a few hours. The caveat with me though, is that I don't like to use setting powders. I have acne, and I've found that lots of setting powers would break me out because there's too much silica or talc in them. One example is the Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder which I've done a review on here.

Thus, I turned to setting sprays in the hopes that it'll cure my oily skin woes. Ulta was having the Urban Decay setting sprays for 40% off for one day only during the holidays so I picked up De-Slick and All Nighter to try out. Here are my thoughts:

De-Slick: 


This one is aimed for oily skin and claims to control oil and keep the skin matte. Here are the claims on the back of the box:



I'm sad to say that this didn't do much if anything to control my oil. I've been testing it out during December, so it's not particularly hot or humid, and yet, my skin was still excessively oily. Another thing that disappointed me with this particular setting spray was that I think it was causing breakouts. Every time I took my makeup off, I would have one or two new breakouts that weren't the result of any other products.

To those who are sensitive to scents, I would like to warn you that there is a definite fragrance to these setting sprays. It dissipates after spraying, but it's definitely there. I wanted to love this, but it just didn't do much for me at all.

Here are the ingredients:



All Nighter: 


This one is simply aimed at keeping the makeup on the skin and looking fresh. Here are the claims on the back of the box:



I actually liked this one better than De-Slick! I felt that this setting spray kept my face looking more matte and more fresh. I will say that this one doesn't take away the cake-y look. If you have a dry patch and are wanting to use this to make it less apparent, this doesn't help much in that department. I am curious to see how this works to take away the powder-y look when I use just bareMinerals all over my face as my foundation. Usually, my oils take care of that and make my skin look natural after a few hours, but I do want to test that out and see how it would work with setting the makeup and taking away the powder-y layered look. 

Here's the ingredients list: 



I conclude that the All Nighter DOES work, while the De-Slick sadly falls short for me. The ingredients list on both of these are quite similar, though, so it's curious that the All Nighter works for me while the De-Slick doesn't.

Let me know if you've tried these or other setting sprays and what you thought in the comments! 

Comments