Skip to main content

Grail or Fail: bareMinerals Matte Foundation Review/Experience

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I apologize for my recent absence. Today I want to tell all of you about my experience with the bareMinerals Matte foundation. The first face makeup I ever got was a powder, so I am quite partial to powder foundations; with that said, let's get into it!



My mom had used bareMinerals on and off a few years ago, but she only used the original formula. When I was breaking out badly around two years ago, I decided to pull out the original bareMinerals and give it a try, even though it was in the wrong color for me. I mixed some other powder foundations to get a reasonable shade to match me, but after a few days of using the original formula, I noticed that every time my face would perspire, it would itch like crazy! Needless to say, I discontinued using the original, then I found that they had come out with the matte formula and went out to Sephora to buy it out of curiosity.

I use the shade Golder Fair in this formula, it's a tad too light and yellow for me if I pack it on, but otherwise it looks fine. Now, there are probably millions of reviews on this product out on the web, but I just wanted to give you a few of my thoughts on this product. It does have a SPF, but considering it's in a powder form, it isn't very high. Since it is in a loose form, it will last for an extremely long time, over a year at least with everyday use. The formula itself is light, but if you have pores, dry skin, wrinkles, or uneven skin, you will need a primer underneath this.

I know that bismuth oxychloride is what was in the original formula that made quite a few of users itch and even break out. This formula is free of that, but I find that I like the way the original looks better than this matte formula because this one can look extremely dry, but even as it looks extremely dry, within a few hours it will look extremely oily. This matte formula is targeted to oily skinned people, but the initial application is the only thing that is matte, other than that, you can almost always expect to be blotting away like crazy a few hours later. The oil control on the original is actually better than the one on this, it's just that I can't use it because it makes me itch insanely!

I'm still going to be using this up, I'm almost finished with the entire container, but I don't think I'll repurchase. I might try to find another powder foundation with better staying power and oil control. It might be due to the primer that I use, as I know that I absolutely love the Prime Time Foundation Primer in Original. Anyway, my hunt for the perfect powder with enough coverage, good coloring, and oil control continues. If any of you have any suggestions for me, please leave a comment or email me, I would love to see what powder/powder foundation all of you enjoy.

As always, thank you all so much for reading and have a wonderful day!

Comments