Skip to main content

5 Tips for Applying Makeup on Dry, Flaky Skin

Hello everyone! We're still in winter, so following up my exfoliation post, I thought I would show you all 5 tips on applying makeup to flaky skin. I have super dry and flaky skin on my cheeks right now and if I apply anything that has a pigment to it, like foundation or BB Cream with my fingers or a buffing brush, the flakes will go crazy!
#1. DO NOT BUFF! If you use any type of buffing brush, it's a form of micro exfoliation, meaning that it's going to bring the flakes to a head and make them extremely noticeable.
#2. Use a damp sponge. If you use a damp sponge and take the BB Cream or foundation on it and then pat it onto the skin, the flakes will stay down and none of them will become noticeable, giving you a smooth flawless finish.
#3. Use a Patting Motion with Fingers. If you're applying your base makeup with fingers, instead of rubbing in circles, pat or press it into the skin, so that the flakes won't be disturbed and become noticeable.
#4. Always Moisturize Dry Spots Before Makeup Application. I use an acne medication cream, Aczone, every morning as my all of moisturizer for the face, and in my oily areas it's enough moisture, but in my dry areas, it's not nearly enough. So, I wait about 10 minutes after that and then apply my moisturizer to any of my dry spots and I make sure to massage it into the skin.
#5. Use a Moisturizing Base Makeup. If you have combo skin like me right now where my t-zone can still get pretty oily and my cheeks are super dry, then use a more moisturizing base on the dry areas while following tips 1-4 and use a more oil controlling base on oilier areas, or if you can find a good balancing base, use it all over the face! I find that Dr. Jart Water Fuse BB Cream works well for me even in my oiler areas during this time.
You could use a primer first, but with these tips in practice, I don't think that it's necessary. These are all of my tips, and I hope you all found this helpful, so keeping it short and sweet, have a wonderful day!

Comments