Skip to main content

Best Contour Powders

Hey everyone; I hope you all are enjoying the more frequent and regular posts! Today, I thought I would give you all a post about a few of my favorite contour powders, which in some instances is bronzers, but I'm including some other types of powders that can be used for contour, such as eye shadows.


I'm starting off with an actual bronzer, this is the Tarte Mineral Bronzer in Park Avenue Princess. I'm sure there's been many raves and review on this, and I'm going to say it's a rave product for me... sometimes. Now the reason for that is because this bronzer can sometimes look a bit too orange on my skin, but as a contour, it somehow is able to settle into the hollows without looking like an actual orange. It does have a bit of a golden shimmer sheen when swatched and in the pan, but it's not noticeable on the skin unless it's applied super heavily. I like to take a rounded or the angled brush that I made myself and sweep this in the  hollows of my cheeks lightly to avoid making it look either too orange or too red toned since I have extremely fair skin. Those with medium skin won't have to be so careful and those with deeper skin can probably use this as a highlighter or natural blush, which I sometimes do if I want something more natural and slightly warmer.


This is one of the more unconventional contour powders; the Maybelline quad in Chai Latte. It's been repackaged now into their new style with all of their other eye shadows, but the one I have is still in it's old packaging because I got this years ago as one of my very first eye shadow quads. This color in the quad as shown above, the lid color, is one that I've used for both contouring the eyes and face. It's a nice, neutral, cool toned taupe color that works amazingly well for contouring both the cheekbones, sides of the nose, and anywhere else on the face. Out of the other two contour powders, this one is my favorite because I've been using it longest and it has worked well for me when I have the urge to contour my face. I don't contour everyday, mostly on and off, but if I do, this is usually the first one I reach for because the color suits me well. I do the same as with the bronzer application wise, take a brush, either rounded or angled, and sweep this in the hollows of my cheeks, and this one I don't need to be as careful with. I also like to use this to contour my nose, and I use a rounded dome blending brush from Sonia Kashuk that's similar to a M.A.C. 224 to apply.


This is another eye shadow that I like to use for contour, and I think I have a review post up with this as well as swatches, so I'll link that at the end of this post for you all. This is the Lancôme Color Design eye shadow in Mochaccino and it's a matte shade. This is the darkest out of all three and the one that I have to be most careful with. It's a definite cool toned taupe brown color and if I apply too much of this, it can look very dark, unflattering, and muddy. Using this sparingly allows for a nice contour, and on medium or deeper skin tones this would be amazing and those with darker skin tones won't have to be as careful as I am due to my pale skin. I think this might have broken me out before, but I'm not sure this was the actual culprit. I must say that I reach for this the least and the other two more because this shade is much deeper and more pigmented. Again, I use the same application technique and the same brushes, but an even lighter hand than usual. I like using this more for contouring the eyes, or even for filling in the brows.

I hope this post will give you all some ideas of how truly versatile powdered makeup is, especially eye shadows. If you have a powder that's darker than your skin tone by one or two shades, that can act as a great, natural contour shade and if you have one that's way darker, then that would work great as a more intense contour, so definitely give those a try! Thank you all so much for reading, and have a wonderful day!

                                    

Comments