Skip to main content

10 Products I Regret Purchasing

Happy Sunday and welcome back to my blog for Day 12 of Daily Blogging! Today I have for you something other than a review - this will be a post on the products that I regret buying. I will preface this by saying that everyone has different skin, so what may not work for me, could still amazingly work for you.


Without further ado, let's get into it!

Regret #1: Lush Mask of Magnaminty
I don't have a picture of this, because I opened it up the other day and saw that it was moldy. :( So I immediately tossed it out. I bought this a while ago in hopes that it would live up to its hype about how amazing it was for oily, acne prone skin. I used it a few times and noticed that while it left my skin ultra smooth from the physical exfoliation particles, it also broke me out! I noticed that I always had a new breakout the next morning, and since I didn't change anything else in my routines, it was definitely this. Also, the scent of it was unappealing to me as it was almost too sweet.

Regret #2: Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion Sunscreen SPF 30
So I had pretty much given up on sunscreens for a while and then started a few months ago, I was trying to find a good sunscreen that I actually liked. I found this one and upon trying it for the first time, I didn't like the texture nor the scent. For the texture, it remained sticky on my skin well after 30 minutes of application. As for the scent, it's strong and smells a bit like a floral perfume. The scent will not dissipate until you take this sunscreen off, so I could smell it all day long and it gave me a headache. To re-purpose this, I'm using it as more of a body sunscreen now. I have oily/combo skin and this exaggerated my oiliness throughout the day.

Regret #3: NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
This foundation had so much hype when it came out and I bought it straight away, in the hopes that it would give me a gorgeous, soft, luminous finish. Alas, this was the time when I had very unbalanced skin - oily, and very acne prone, so this clogged my pores and caused me to breakout almost immediately. It was also unflattering on the skin, catching on any dry patches and not looking smooth at all.

Regret #4: Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
I actually have a full review up on this here, but the short version is that this broke me out like crazy! I only used it a few times and each time, I had a bad breakout. From what I remember, it did keep my skin matte, but it also made my skin feel very tight, as if I had sprayed hairspray onto my face.

Regret #5: Benefit Hoola Bronzer
This is another one of those cult favorites that you hear everyone raving about and I too thought that I had found my Holy Grail bronzer, but it once again, broke me out. There's an ingredient in this and many other bronzers, like the NARS Laguna bronzer, called Ethylhexyl Palmitate, which is very comedogenic. 

Regret #6: Laura Geller Blush n' Brighten
I've actually never used any other Laura Geller products except for this one and I loved the shade of this, in Pink Buttercream. I bought it during the Ulta 21 Days of Beauty last year, used it and loved how it made my cheeks glow without using a highlighter. But, it also has Ethylhexyl Palmitate in the ingredients, thus it broke me out terribly.  

Regret #7: CoverFx Blotting Powder
This has actually been in my collection for a long time. So long that it's probably expired by now. When I was obsessed with finding a powder to tone down my oiliness, a sales associate suggested this for me and it caused me to break out every single time I used it. It also accentuated any dryness I had in my skin. 

Regret #8: Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Talc Free Face Powder
When I saw this, I thought that it would be a perfect pressed mineral foundation. I picked it up in the shade Buff, which was most definitely way too dark for me. There isn't much of a shade selection in this range of powders. I've looked into the ingredients and none of them look like they were going to cause me an issues, so I have no idea why my skin doesn't like this! Every time I wear this, I get a new breakout when I remove my makeup.

Regret #9: La Roche Posay Anthelios Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
This isn't in the picture because I don't have it with me anymore. I had heard such great things about this range of sunscreens and decided to try one out for myself. I was really into mineral sunscreens at the time because I thought that chemical sunscreens broke me out - I was wrong. Anyhow, I bought this and immediately upon application, the texture turned me away. It had a strange gritty feel to it. The scent also lingered all day long. My skin felt greasy and oily upon application and all throughout the day. It's no surprise that this broke me out too.

Regret #10: CoverFx Natural Finish Foundation
I also don't have this product anymore; I've since returned it, so it's not in the picture above. When this was applied onto my skin by a sales associate, I thought it looked amazing... I should've taken a closer look. It was cakey, heavy, and made my skin oily. It didn't look good over texture, and while it did cover the redness of acne, it probably made it worse by being way too heavy on the skin. It was easily too heavy and smelled strongly of paint, which lingered all day.

So, those are all of my 10 regretted purchases. If some of these are your favorites, then that's amazing; I'm so glad they worked out for you! What are your regretted purchases? Let me know in a comment below. Talk to you all again tomorrow in another post! :)

Comments

  1. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Cbt Therapy Slough

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment